Saturday, April 19, 2014

Adventures in Rio De Janeiro: An American Perspective

As I mentioned in another post, I recently moved to Texas and am loving it!  I haven't experienced the Texas heat yet (which they say is unbearable), but I lived in Rio De Janeiro, Brasil (Brazil) for a few years and there is nothing in the US that compares to the 120F /100% humidity summers in Brazil....and I spent most of that time out side!!!  Ok, I might be exaggerating Brasil's humidity a LITTLE, but not much :-).

Texans complain, but they have air conditioning everywhere!  Most of the folks in Rio are much too poor to afford windows, much less air conditioning.  You've probably seen Rio's living conditions in the favelas (shanty towns) on TV as the world is preparing for the World Cup and Olympics in Rio, and you've probably thought they were showing "extreme/dramatic" scenes as the media normally does, but the truth is that half of Rio actually looks like that.  Small brick houses, no windows, dirt floors, dirt roads, drug cartels everywhere.  They all have TV's though :-).

A Favela (Shanty Town) in Rio
I spent quite a bit of time with people in the favelas and despite their extremely poor conditions, lack of education, and lack of attainable anything, they are happy and kind people who strongly believe in God; at least they claim to (their lives of some would suggest otherwise).

Rio as seen from Pão de Açúcar
(Sugar Loaf)
Most of the rest of Rio is filled with what would be considered "poor" living conditions by American standards (much better than the favelas though).  Dingy apartment buildings with doors and windows, a couch, a bed, a dinner table, and of course a TV.

There are some however in Rio that would be considered "rich" even by American standards.  The residents of the rich areas live amazing lives.  Beautiful, impeccable golf courses.  World class hotels.  Private beaches.  Maids.  Great education.  Beautiful homes with incredible views of the ocean, the mountains, lakes, beaches, etc.  I would live that section of Rio in a heartbeat!  But my wife isn't too keen on the idea :-).  

If you have the money you could play a round of golf at the Gavea Golf Club.

Gavea Golf Club
 Or stay at the Copacabana Palace.

Copacabana Palace
And take a dip in this private pool on one of the upper floors!  The entire pool is made of black marble tile.  I've been to this pool and the view of the ocean across the street is amazing!!

Pool at the Copacabana Palace

Speaking of beaches, the beaches (praia) in Brasil are absolutely amazing, but beware that they are a prime location for pickpocketing (especially foreigners).  White sand for miles.  Beautiful crystal clear blue water.  Palm trees.  Amazing.  If you really have a hankering to visit the beach, I'd try either one of the beaches in the more Americanized area or some of the small resort towns.  Absolutely beautiful and less chance of getting robbed.


Ipanema Beach (praia)
If you make it to Brasil, be sure to watch the Seleção (Brasil's national team) play some futebol (soccer)!  You won't see a single Brasilian on the streets when Brasil is playing because they're ALL watching the game.  It's absolutely amazing - nothing like it exists in the US.
Futebol
All in all, Rio is my second home.  The people, culture, scenery, and food are amazing!  I highly recommend a visit.  Check out my other posts for my adventures with food, culture, and life in Brasil!

2 comments:

  1. This is great. I love hearing about first-hand experiences in far-off places. Did you serve a mission? :) I love churrasco!! Unfortunately the one Brazilian restaurant in my town went out of business. :( Are you glad you won't be there for the World Cup? Or wishing you could be..?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm glad I won't be there; Rio is crazy enough under normal circumstances! Too bad about the restaurant; check out the recipes at http://maria-brazil.org/ if you want to try making some of your own. And sure enough on the mission :-).

    ReplyDelete